Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ron Paul Cured Richard Miller's Apathy

A Mormon who actively campaigned for Mitt Romney in 2008 has taken a look at his political beliefs, and found he was mistaken.  Read Richard Miller's reasons for supporting Ron Paul

Over the last 4 years, I studied a lot.
I read Ron Paul’s Revolution and End the Fed.
I re-read the Constitution for the first time in years.
I read George Washington’s farewell address.
I read Murray Rothbard, Peter Schiff, Ayn Rand, and Reason Magazine.
I listened to the CATO Daily Podcast.
I watched YouTube videos from Judge Napolitano, John Stossel, Tom Woods, and LearnLiberty.

Scales seemed to fall from my eyes. The principles I learned were coherent and satisfying. A bunch of topics “clicked” for me: macroeconomics, monetary policy, business cycles, political influence and lobbying, civil liberties, war, and foreign policy. Not that I know a lot, but these all make much more sense to me now.

I came to discover that liberty is a unifying principle. We can agree to live in a free society without having to agree on anything else. A free society is one that protects life, liberty, and property. The purpose of liberty is to allow us to develop “virtue and excellence”.

Read the entire essay here.